|Accelerating Opportunities |
Accelerating Opportunities – What is it?
Accelerating Opportunities (AO) is a grant funded (as implemented by Jobs for the Future), two semester program that is open to veterans, displaced workers, adult learners, students pursuing a high school equivalency, and anyone else with a need for basic reading, writing, and math skills. The AO program at Nunez Community College integrates basic skills with career and technical instruction. AO includes a set of core classes that are co-taught by an ABE instructor and Content Instructor based on the I-BEST model. Pathways in the Healthcare, Business, and Industrial Technology career clusters are available to all interested students. Interested students will fill out an application and submit a letter of support that attests to the students’ ability to be successful with this program. Minimum scores must be earned on the TABE test in Reading and Math to qualify.
Benefits of participating in the program include:
- Earn credentials, Industry-Based Certifications and college credits towards your degree
- Develop valuable academic and professional success skills
- Earn your high school equivalency (HiSET) through co-enrollment in the St. Bernard Parish Adult Education Program
- Benefit from wrap-around academic and student support services
Eligible candidates will be required to commit to the following:
- Attending both college classes and basic skills classes during a 16 week semester program (approx. 20 hours/week)
- Completing all the requirements of each class including assigned reading, homework, essays, and exams
Click the graphic below to explore the 3 pathways for Accelerating Opportunities
In order to apply for the Accelerating Opportunities program,
you must fill out both an application and letter of support document and
either fax or email these documents back to the Adult Education office.
Adult Education Fax Number: (504) 278-6480 Adult Education Email Address: email@example.com
Click here to download the Accelerating Opportunities Program Application
Click here to download the Accelerating Opportunities Letter of Support
For more information contact:
St. Bernard Adult Education/Nunez Community College
St Bernard Adult Education, Director
Nunez Community College