Admissions Frequently Asked Questions

Now that I have completed the application, what do I do next?

Once you have been admitted into a degree or certificate program, you will receive directions via email on how to create your LoLA account. LoLA access is required in order to register for your classes. If you cannot access your LoLA account, please email the admissions department at

I applied to Nunez but I have not heard anything back. What should I do now?

First, log back in to your application to make sure you completed all parts. You should have received a confirmation message. If you have completed the application, please contact the admissions department at inquiring about your application. Include your full name and date of birth in the email.

What is the minimum ACT score that I need in order to apply and attend Nunez Community College?

Nunez Community College is an open admissions institution, which means there is no required minimum ACT score. Your course placement will be based on your ACT or placement test scores that you provide to us.

I have not taken the ACT test. Can I still attend Nunez Community College?

Yes; you can a placement test. Testing may take up to three hours and you will be tested in the areas of Math, English and Reading. Course placement will be based on your test results.

How do I register to take the placement test?

Placement testing is offered during on-site registration and on scheduled days throughout the semester. Pre-registration is not required but is suggested. You can view the test schedule and sign up for a date here.

What is LoLA?

It stands for Log-on Louisiana (LoLA) and it is the College's online admissions and registration system. It allows students to view their academic and financial records, register for classes, and make changes in their schedule.

When can I log into LoLA?

New students should have LoLA access immediately upon completion of the admissions application. Please visit LoLA and log in. If you are unable to locate your user name, please contact the Nunez IT Help Desk at or 504-278-6279.

How do I register for my classes?

First time freshmen are encouraged to meet with an academic advisor to schedule classes via LoLA.  All students are invited to meet with an advisor at any time, but may register for classes anytime using LoLA.

Where can I go to find out about financial aid?

The College's Financial Aid office is located in the Administration Building. The Financial Aid staff can provide information about various forms of financial aid, as well as assistance in completing applications. It is always a good idea to complete your online FAFSA application before meeting with a Financial Aid counselor.

Does Nunez offer services for students with disabilities?

Yes. Nunez is a place where students with disabilities can be successful and are encouraged to fully participate in all activities at the college. We are passionate about the Office of Disability Servicesí mission. You can visit the office, located in the Administration Building, for more information.

How do I change my e-mail address?

All Nunez students will receive a Nunez e-mail address. Your user name consists of your full first name, your full last name and If you want to change your e-mail address, you may do so in LoLA.

If I drop a class, will I get my money back?

In order to receive a refund, you must withdraw before the posted deadline provided in the current semesterís academic calendar.  See this page for a current academic calendar.

Do I have to be a full time student to receive financial aid?

No, a student does not have to be enrolled full-time to receive financial aid. However, your award may be adjusted based on your enrollment status. Students enrolled in 12 or more credit hours are considered full-time. Please note: All students interested in loans or work-study positions must be enrolled at least part-time.

How do I declare my major?

When you completed the admissions application, you were required to identify a major. If you decide to change your major, you can do so in the Student Affairs office.

How do I know what classes I need for a specific degree?

Each degree or certificate has its own degree audit form which lists the requirements for your specific program of study.  You can obtain a degree form from your academic advisor or on our website at this page

How can I get an advisor?

Based on your major, you will be assigned an advisor after registration. If you have questions, feel free to visit the Student Success Center, but your advisorís name will be accessible in LoLA. 

Does Nunez have any campus jobs for students?

Yes. Many campus offices and departments hire student workers. For information about Work-Study opportunities, contact the Financial Aid office. 

Are there tutoring services available?

Yes. The Student Success Center provides individualized and group tutoring in math, English, reading and sciences; individualized and group mentoring; computer software to reinforce reading, writing and math skills; and career counseling.  The SSC also offers several workshops for students throughout the year.

Does Nunez have any computers for student use?

Yes. There are computers available in the library and the Student Success Center. 

When is tuition due?

Payment arrangements must be made by the first day of class for each semester.

When does school begin? / When do online classes begin?

The first day of class will always be listed on our website, Please review your concise student schedule in LoLA to determine your first day of school. If you enrolled in online classes, log into Canvas to determine if your course has started. If it has not started, you may email your instructor.

How will I know where classes meet?

Your concise student schedule, which you can locate and download from LoLA, will list the days, times, and locations of your classes.  Make sure to check your schedule frequently in case classroom locations have changed.

What is a credit?

A credit is a unit of study that is the equivalent of fifty minutes of class instruction and two hours of outside study each week. All classes at Nunez carry a specific number of credits. Most courses carry three credits.

What is full-time?

To be a full-time student, you need to be enrolled for a minimum of twelve credit hours per semester. For most students, that means taking at least four courses.

What GPA do I need to maintain in order to remain in good standing?

Students need to maintain a 2.0 cumulative (overall) GPA.

Why can't I see my grades?

You may have a hold on your account. You should contact Student Affairs at 504-278-6467 to check.

What are developmental courses?

Developmental courses prepare students for college-level, transferable coursework. Students are placed into reading, writing, and/or math developmental courses based on their test scores.

How long does a semester last?

A semester lasts approximately sixteen weeks. At Nunez, the fall semester begins in late August and continues through the third week in December. The spring semester begins in mid-January and concludes in mid-May. In addition to the fall and spring semesters, the College offers fast lane sessions and summer terms.

Does Nunez have an attendance policy?

It is expected that students will attend all class meetings. However, many faculty identify attendance policies in the course syllabus.

What does TR mean on my schedule?

It means your class is held on Tuesday AND Thursday.

How will I know what books I will need for my classes?

Your instructors will let you know what books are required during the first class meeting and on the course syllabus.  You can also look up required texts for each course by accessing the bookstore's website from our homepage.

Where can I buy books?

You can buy books, as well as other school supplies, in the campus bookstore. The bookstore carries new, used, and rental copies of all texts.

If I have a question or problem, can I speak with a counselor?

Yes. You can contact the Student Affairs office or your academic advisor. 

Does Nunez have any student clubs?

You can visit the Student Affairs office to find out more information or go online at:

Suppose I have questions between now and the first day of classes?

If you have questions about classes, financial aid, new student orientation, or other matters, check the College's homepage (, visit the Student Affairs office, or call the following numbers:

Admissions 504-278-6466
Adult Education
Arts & Humanities
Business & Technology
Counseling/ADA Career Services
Financial Aid
Health & Natural Sciences
Health Center
Information Technology
Student Affairs
Student Government Association 504-278-6323
Veterans Affairs 504-278-6478



© Copyright 2018, Nunez Community College. All rights reserved.