Louisiana Transfer Degree (240199)

Louisiana Transfer Degrees provide a seamless transition into baccalaureate programs at public four-year colleges and universities throughout the state. Credits are guaranteed to transfer, provided students meet admissions requirements.

Students should select courses carefully to ensure that they meet the requirements of the desired degree at the receiving institution.

The degree includes 39 credit hours of General Education requirements and 21 credit hours of electives that prepare the student for the desired bachelor's degree.

Available Programs:
Associate of Arts, Business Concentration
Associate of Arts, Fine Arts Concentration
Associate of Arts, Humanities Concentration
Associate of Arts, Social Sciences Concentration
Associate of Science, Biological Sciences Concentration
Associate of Science, Physical Sciences Concentration
The Associate of Arts Louisiana Transfer Degree prepares students for careers in fields that include accounting, business, management, education,fine arts, history, humanities, journalism, sociology, and psychology.

The Associate of Science Louisiana Transfer Degree prepares students for careers in natural and physical sciences, as well as engineering, math and science education. Students interested in pre-health programs (pre-dental, pre-medical, pre-veterinary, etc.) can prepare for further education with this degree program.

Completion of the Associate of Arts Louisiana Transfer Degree or Associate of Science Louisiana Transfer Degree guarantees that the student has met, in full, all lower-division general education requirements at the receiving Louisiana public university. Graduates transferring with the transfer degree will have junior status. Courses or GPA requirements for specific majors, departments, or schools are not automatically satisfied by an Associate of Arts Louisiana Transfer Degree or Associate of Science Louisiana Transfer Degree.

For more information in regards to the Louisiana Transfer Degree, including FAQs, Master Course Articulation Matrixes, and Contact Information, please use the tabs above to view the Information and FAQ pages.

Visit the Nunez Community College Catalog Page for more information including Semester Calendars, Tuition and Fee Schedules, and Course Descriptions. For more help in regards to all of our programs see the Advising Handbook Page.

For further information about Louisiana Transfer Degrees or for assistance with these degree programs please submit a request to our advisors using our Advising Support Form.

LA Transfer Degree

The Louisiana Transfer Associate is a degree offered by a two-year or community college as an interim step to the bachelor’s degree. It allows you to complete the first 60 hours of college work toward a 4-year degree while you attend the two-year or community college. This 60-hour degree is designed to give you the foundation to succeed in the baccalaureate and to help you make wise choices about the majors that are best for you.
Click Here to view the Louisiana Transfer Degree Course Templates. (ADA Compliant Document Currently Being Worked On.)
Click Here to view the latest Advisor's Guide.

LA Transfer Degree FAQ

What is the Transfer Associate Degree?

The transfer associate is a degree offered by a two-year or community college as an interim step to the bachelor’s degree. It allows you to complete the first 60 hours of college work toward a 4-year degree while you attend the two-year or community college. This 60-hour degree is designed to give you the foundation to succeed in the baccalaureate and to help you make wise choices about the majors that are best for you.

What is the background of the Transfer Degree Guarantee? How did it originate?

The Louisiana Board of Regents has been actively involved with college-course transfer issues since 1995, when the Statewide Articulation Committee was first established. In 1997 the first Statewide Articulation (course transfer) Matrix was published, listing approximately 25 courses. Since then, Louisiana’s colleges and universities have identified 200 courses that transfer easily.

Even with that progress, more work was needed. In 2009, Senator Ben Nevers sponsored legislation that became Act 356 and that established a requirement to develop a statewide transfer associate degree. That new law set into motion unprecedented cooperation among faculties and institutions to eliminate barriers that would prevent students from successfully transferring between and among postsecondary institutions.

How can the Transfer degree help me?

You might find that as you consider college, you’re not sure what field or fields of study you’d like to pursue. That’s okay. Deciding on a major might take you a year or two because college offers an array of interesting studies and learning experiences. The transfer associate degree can help you make the most of your first two years of college, especially if you’re not sure about a major. When you earn the transfer associate degree (39 hours of general education courses and another 21 hours of more specific courses), that 60-hour block of courses will transfer to the public university of your choice. While you won’t lose any credits, the university might require you to meet other admission standards or course requirements for certain majors. So you should visit with an advisor early as a freshman and chart the coursework that’s best for you.

What does the Transfer Associate Degree guarantee?

The degree guarantees:

  • Admission to a 4-year public university (you must meet that university’s standards);
  • Junior-level standing, with all of the rights and privileges that come with it;
  • Block transfer of all 60 hours (you must make a "C” or better in each course); and
  • Equal opportunity to compete with ‘native’ university students for admission to limited access programs

What doesn't the Transfer Degree guarantee?

The Transfer Associate Degree does not guarantee:

  • Admission to every university or degree program: you must meet university-specific or degree-specific admissions requirements (e.g., GPA, specific course completions, etc);
  • That the courses taken for the transfer degree will meet specified course requirements of the major; you need to consult an advisor or the university to make sure.

How does it work?

When you graduate with the transfer associate degree, you are eligible to enter a four-year public university as a junior, with all 60 (non-developmental) credits transferring to the receiving university.

What fields of study can I pursue?

You may complete either a transfer Associate of Arts (AA) or Associate of Science (AS) degree, depending on the type of baccalaureate degree you want to earn. In every case, you should do some research, consider the career you want to pursue, seek advice from a college advisor, and learn which transfer degree program is best for you.

How many hours must I take to earn the Transfer Degree?

You must complete 60 hours (non-developmental) within several categories of courses (see below).

What grades must I make to earn the Transfer Degree?

You must earn a "C” or higher in each course that applies to the degree. If you earn less than a "C” in any course, you must either retake that course or earn at least a "C” in an equivalent (replacement) course. Only the "C” (or higher) grades are guaranteed to transfer with the degree.

What courses are involved?

See below for detailed course lists, but generally, the transfer associate degree consists of 39 hours of general education courses (called the GenEd block) and another 21 hours of more focused course work. The 21 hours of more focused courses are intended to help you prepare for upper-level study and to enrich your initial GenEd experience.

Will I really enter the four-year university as a junior?

Yes, as long as you complete the 60-hour transfer degree with a "C” or better in each course AND meet the university’s transfer admission requirements.

Does it really guarantee that I can transfer from a community college to a four-year university in Louisiana without losing credits?

Yes. When you earn either a transfer Associate of Arts (AA) or transfer Associate of Science (AS) degree, you can be assured that your 60 course hours will transfer for credit. Faculty from each four-year university have participated in the process of identifying General Education courses that will transfer as a block. Also, remember that in addition to earning the transfer degree, you must satisfy the university-specific admission requirements and know what courses will relate to your major. Please talk with a college advisor as soon as possible to chart your course work.

Who is eligible for the Transfer Degree Guarantee?

You are eligible once you enroll in one of these colleges:

  • Baton Rouge Community College
  • Bossier Parish Community College
  • Delgado Community College (New Orleans)
  • Fletcher Technical Community College (Houma)
  • Louisiana Delta Community College (Monroe)
  • LSU - Eunice
  • Nunez Community College (Chalmette)
  • River Parishes Community College (Sorrento)
  • South Louisiana Community College (Lafayette)
  • Southern University - Shreveport
  • [SOWELA Technical Community College: in Candidacy] 

What does it take to enroll in a 2-year college?

Louisiana’s community colleges are "open admissions.” To enroll, you must have graduated from high school (or earned a G.E.D. certificate), or be able to demonstrate your ability to benefit by taking a placement test at the college. There are no other admissions requirements (such as a minimum ACT score or minimum grade point average).

Which four-year universities will honor the guarantee?

All of the following public universities in Louisiana will accept your transfer degree, as long as you also meet their university-specific admission requirements:

  • Grambling State University (Grambling)
  • LSU (Baton Rouge)
  • LSU-Alexandria
  • LSU-Shreveport
  • Louisiana Tech University (Ruston)
  • McNeese State University (Lake Charles)
  • Nicholls State University (Thibodaux)
  • Northwestern State University (Natchitoches)
  • Southeastern Louisiana University (Hammond)
  • Southern University (Baton Rouge)
  • Southern University at New Orleans
  • University of Louisiana at Lafayette
  • University of Louisiana at Monroe
  • University of New Orleans

As I'm planning for my Transfer Degree, where can I find the university-specific requirements I would have to meet to qualify for admissions?

What kinds of courses are required for the 39-hour GenEd block?

Course Hours Needed

English Composition

6 Hours (2 Courses)

Mathematics/Analytical Reasoning

6 Hours (2 Courses)

Natural Sciences

9 Hours (3 Courses)
Two courses in a biological or physical science area sequence AND one in the other area.


9 Hours (3 Courses)
One course must be in Literature. Some colleges may specify guidelines for the additional two courses.

Social Sciences

6 Hours (2 Courses)
One course must be at or above the sophomore level..

Fine Arts

3 Hours (1 Course)



*Note: Developmental courses do not qualify for General Education or degree credit.

What specific courses can I take for the 39-hour GenEd block?

You have plenty of choices that will provide you with an excellent start in college. Check the catalog (or an advisor) in the 2-year college you attend for its list of specific GenEd course offerings. Here are your options by category:

(6 Hours: 2 Courses)

  • English Composition (first semester)
  • English Composition (second semester)
  • Advanced English Composition (e.g., ENGL 2000)


  • Analytic Geometry and Calculus (any version)
  • Calculus (any version)
  • College Algebra
  • Contemporary Mathematics
  • Logic
  • Mathematics
  • Statistics
  • Trigonometry


Biological Sciences:

  • Ecology
  • General Biology (any version)
  • Human Anatomy
  • Human Anatomy and Physiology
  • Microbiology
  • Physiology
  • Plant Systems (Botany)
  • Zoology


  • Chemical Fundamentals
  • Chemistry of Life & Environment
  • General Chemistry (any version)
  • General Geology, Historical or Physical
  • General Physics
  • Physical Science
  • Stellar Astronomy
  • The Solar System


  • Environmental Science
  • Oceanography
  • Science and Society


  • Argumentation and Debate
  • Cultural History (any survey)
  • Fundamentals of Speech
  • History (any survey)
  • Interpersonal Communication
  • Language
  • Literature (any survey)
  • Mass Media
  • New Testament
  • Old Testament
  • Performing Literature
  • Philosophy (any survey)
  • Public Speaking
  • Religious Studies(any survey)
  • Rome
  • Shakespeare
  • Women's and Gender Studies


  • American Government
  • Archaeology
  • Comparative Politics
  • Contemporary Global Issues
  • Cultural and Social Anthropology
  • Economic Principles
  • Entertainment and Media
  • Fundamental Issues of Politics
  • Gender, Race, and Nation
  • Geography
  • Human Societies
  • International Politics
  • Macroeconomics
  • Microeconomics
  • Physical Anthropology
  • Political Theory
  • Psychology
  • Sociology
  • State and Local Government
  • World Archaeology
  • World Ethnography


  • Architecture
  • Cinema and Film
  • Dance Appreciation
  • Fine Arts
  • History of Art (any survey)
  • History of Interior Design
  • History of Musical Forms
  • Landscape Architecture
  • Music Appreciation
  • Music Fundamentals and Theory
  • Music History Survey (any version)
  • Philosophy of Art
  • Theater and Dramatic Arts (e.g. jazz, classical, folk)

What kinds of courses are required for the remaining 21-hour block?

You may choose from a variety of courses in the following areas, and remember that you must earn a "C” or better in each of the courses to earn the transfer degree. Please consult with your college advisor when choosing courses in these areas:

  • Humanities
  • Natural Sciences - Biological
  • Natural Sciences - Physical
  • Social Sciences
  • Fine Arts

What if I already know the major I want to pursue and the university I want to attend?

If you are relatively sure of your intended major or of the university that you would like to attend, you should tell your advisor and chart your specific coursework for that major at that university. You should also bookmark the university’s web site where you can follow a major-specific degree plan and prepare to meet the standards that you will need to achieve graduate from that university.

I understand what the state of Louisiana guarantees, but what are my responsibilities as a student?

  1. The Louisiana Transfer Associate Degree guarantees your admission to a Louisiana public 4-year university; however, admission to some high demand programs is competitive and can be based on grade point average and other academic requirements. It is your responsibility to research and fulfill the admission requirements for such programs.
  2. The Louisiana Transfer Associate Degree guarantees that you will have an equal opportunity to compete with ‘native’ students to enter limited access programs at 4-year universities. It is your responsibility to know the admission requirements and to be as prepared as possible to compete for a place in the program.
  3. The Louisiana Transfer Associate Degree guarantees that all 60 credits will transfer as block credit to a Louisiana public 4-year university. However, if you transfer before completing the associate transfer degree, you might find that some courses don’t transfer or that you are required to take additional courses to meet the general education requirements at the receiving 4-year university.
  4. To qualify for block transfer guarantees, you must earn a grade of "C” or better in each course of the 60 hours applied toward the degree -- either the Transfer Associate of Arts degree or the Transfer Associate of Science degree.
  5. The Louisiana Transfer Associate is a two-year portable academic credential that awards junior standing in any Louisiana public university. Advising and planning are key to your success. Consult with a college advisor and develop a written degree plan. It is your responsibility to choose the courses that will best prepare you for a specific college and major, and to complete your baccalaureate in a timely manner.

Where can I go for more help?

Talk to the college counselor an advisor. You can check specific university transfer and program admission information at the Articulation Web Site (ADA Compliant Document Currently Being Worked On.). Also, you can visit the web site of the university in which you are interested, or you can talk with a university admissions officer for more details.

Click the links below for a full list of courses required for individual Program Completion.