For the week of March 21-25, Nunez Community College will join the Louisiana Community and Technical College System (LCTCS) and Louisiana Office of Student Financial Assistance (LOSFA) in celebrating Louisiana Community College Week statewide on the campuses of the 12 LCTCS colleges.
The purpose of Louisiana Community College Week is to inform prospective students of all ages about the colleges, programs offered, and the potential careers that those programs can develop them for.
Currently among the most productive and fastest growing two-year college systems in the nation, Louisiana’s community and technical colleges have garnered national recognition for their innovative and workforce-centric approach to education and training.
“Nunez Community College, and all the LCTCS colleges, are resources that may be known in our respective communities but are still broadly underutilized. The variety of training opportunities we offer – credit, non-credit, workforce, industry training, community education – are available at a price point that four-year universities and for-profit colleges really can’t touch,” said Nunez Chancellor Dr. Tina Tinney. “Community College Week is an opportunity for us to invite the community on to our campuses to see and experience everything we have to offer and realize the range of opportunities available to them in a very welcoming environment.”
Nunez’s Community College week will also feature a Community Open House on March 23 from 5-7 p.m. with a public presentation promoting Louisiana’s forthcoming M.J. Foster Promise Program. Foster Promise is a new $10.5 million annual state fund that will provide financial support for students to earn credentials that align to high-demand jobs in growing industry sectors. This includes students pursuing associates degrees, technical certificates, or HiSET/high school equivalency (WorkreadyU).
Nunez will host the following events:
- March 22 - Open House in the Nunez Skillshop for New Orleans Entrepreneur Week (9am-4pm in the Kane Building)
- March 22 - Virtual Nursing Info Session (4pm-5pm) https://bit.ly/3JeNmYB
- March 23 - High School Campus Tours and Program Presentations (9am-1pm)
- March 23 - Community Open House and MJ Foster Promise Presentation (5pm-7pm in the Kane Building Breezeway) https://bit.ly/35P2jBQ
- March 23 - Evening FAFSA Application Assistance (5pm-7pm in the Kane Building Computer Lab)
- All Week - Advising and Registration (9am-4pm in the Administration Building)
- All Week - FAFSA Application Assistance for Current and Future Students (8am-4pm in the Administration Building)
- All Week - Virtual Program Information Events (Check Nunez Social Media for details)
- All Week - Food Fight Pantry Donation Event with Delgado to Support Food Pantries at Both Institutions (Drop off donations in the Administration Building through March 25)
- March 26 - Winners of Food Fight Announced at Nunez vs. Delgado Baseball Doubleheader in Chalmette (3pm at Suarez Stadium)
For more information about other academic and workforce programs or for a list of events, times and locations for Community College Week activities, visit Nunez.edu.
About Nunez Community College
Nunez Community College is a student-centered institution that delivers relevant and innovative curriculum integrating the arts, sciences, and humanities leading to academic credentials and workforce opportunities. Nunez serves a vital role in the community by engaging with partners to support student success and personal growth. Nunez Community College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award associate degrees, certificates, and diplomas. Nunez is located at 3710 Paris Road, Chalmette, LA. For more information, visit www.nunez.edu.