Military & Veterans
Nunez Community College is proud to have received the Louisiana Governor's designation as a
Military & Veteran Friendly Campus.
No VA student will be monetarily or academically penalized due to late VA payments, according to PL-115-407 Section 103. VA payments are defined as money received at the institution to be paid toward tuition and eligible fees.
To Apply for or Renew Your Veteran’s or Military Education Benefits:
Continuing Students with Established Benefits
- If you are continuing at Nunez and need to renew your Education Benefits, complete the VA Education Enrollment form and scan it or drop it off to the Veterans Resource Center on campus. (Please do not send a photo of the signed form.)
- Additionally, National Guard STEP and LA Dependent Tuition Exemption (Title 29) recipients must notify the Bursar (504-278-6403) that you intend to continue using those benefits for each semester you are enrolled.
GI Bill Benefits
- Complete the VA Education Enrollment form and scan it or drop it off to the Veterans Resource Center on campus. (Please do not send a photo of the signed form.)
- First Time Applicants: Submit a Veteran Affairs (VA) application, commonly known as a VA 22-1990 form, through www.va.gov using the link “Apply for education benefits.” The VA will send you a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) by mail within 4-6 weeks, which you will need to submit to the Nunez Veteran’s Resource Center. Until then, you may download and submit a temporary verification after submitting the application. If you do not receive your COE after six weeks, contact the Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Office at 1-888-442-4551.
- Transfer Students: Submit a Change of Program request through www.va.gov using the link “Apply for education benefits.” Once the VA approves this transfer, they will issue you a new COE. Our office requires a copy of the COE before we can process your benefits. If you do not receive your COE after six weeks, contact the Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Office at 1-888-442-4551.
- If you are using the State Tuition Exemption Program (STEP) be sure to confirm with the Bursar (504-278-6403) that you are on the state-generated eligible student list and let them know you intend to use your waiver. If you are using any additional GI bill benefits, to include Ch 1606, Ch 30 or Ch 33, see “GI Bill Benefits” or “Continuing Students with Established Benefits” sections above.
Spouses and Dependents
- LA Dependent Tuition Exemption (Title 29): the state provides exemption of tuition and selected fees to surviving spouses of deceased or disabled war veterans. The benefit also includes children of veterans with at least a 90% service-disabled rating and children of war veterans who have a 100% disability rating due to individual un-employability. It is good for four years of schooling to be completed in not more than five years, or until the student reaches the age of twenty-five. There is no age limit for a surviving spouse. Students utilizing this benefit must attend on a full-time basis.
- To apply for Title 29, contact your local Parish Veterans Service Office. For additional information you may also visit the LDVA website. Eligible students will receive a Fee Exemption Certificate from the Louisiana Department of Veteran Affairs. You must submit the original certificate to our office to receive the exemption.
- VA Dependents Education Assistance (Chapter 35): Most students who qualify for Title 29 also qualify for this federal VA education benefit. For more information, visit https://www.va.gov/education/survivor-dependent-benefits/. For instructions on how to apply, see the “GI Bill Benefits” section above.