Quality Enhancement Plan
Improving Professional Communication Skills for Success in College and Careers
What is a Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP)?
As defined by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC), the Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP) "describes a carefully designed course of action that addresses a well defined and focused topic or issue related to enhancing student learning” and "should be embedded within the institution’s ongoing integrated institution-wide planning”. The QEP must be "forward looking" and "launches a process that can move the institution into the future characterized by creative, engaging, and meaningful learning experiences for students."
For more information on the SACSCOC visit: http://www.sacscoc.org/
What does this mean for Nunez Community College students?
Faculty will be incorporating professional communication skills into their courses. The Student Success Center will offer workshops to help students develop these skills. Students will have the opportunity to create electronic portfolios of their best work in written, oral, and digital communication. The e-portfolios will help career and technical education students demonstrate their skills to employers. Academic and transfer program students will be able to include their portfolios in transfer admissions applications and demonstrate their readiness for studies at a four-year university.
QEP Executive Summary:
Nunez Community College has identified and selected Improving Professional Communication Skills for Success in College and Careers as the focus of its Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP). Through a college-wide conversation about student learning and professional success, a careful analysis of assessment data, and a review of feedback from employers, Improving Professional Communication Skills for Success in College and Careers will empower and encourage Nunez students to improve their oral/verbal, written and digital communication skills through participating in high impact practices.
Three aspects drive the QEP: student learning, professional development, and assessment. The plan incorporates written, oral and digital communication opportunities for practice and feedback in targeted courses across all academic programs of study. The assessment plan is at the pulse of the QEP wherein student learning and professional development initiatives will be directly and indirectly measured to determine improvement and inform instruction. By supporting faculty as they develop new pedagogical skills and apply these to targeted courses, Nunez will positively impact the success of the students, develop mentors on campus, and support a culture of professional communication across the institution.
Overview of Goals and Student Learning Outcomes:
Goal #1: Students will apply appropriate oral communication skills across settings, purposes and audiences.
- SLO 1.1: Students will improve oral communication skills through enhanced instruction and academic support focused on speaking skills: conveying clear main idea, tone, volume, pace, eye contact.
- SLO 1.2: Students will improve oral communication skills used in professional interviews: conveying clear main ideas, tone, volume, pace, eye contact.
- SLO 1.3: Students will increase their understanding of professionalism and professional etiquette.
Goal #2: Students will apply appropriate written communication skills across settings, purposes and audiences.
- SLO 2.1: Students will improve written communication skills through enhanced instruction and academic support focused on: Grammar and Proofreading, Clarity and organization, Content and Analysis, and Research.
- SLO 2.2: Students will develop the skills necessary to compose a professional resume.
- SLO 2.3: Students will develop research skills needed for professional writing.
- SLO 2.4: Students will improve professional writing skills.
Goal #3: Students will apply appropriate digital communication skills across settings, purposes and audiences.
- SLO 3.1: Students will increase understanding of netiquette for digital communication.
- SLO 3.2: Students will accurately discern the validity and credibility of online resources.
Nunez Community College QEP Director: