Unclassified Employment Opportunities
Position: Instructor/Program Chair, Practical Nursing and Nursing Assistant
Department: Nursing and Allied Health
Reports to: Dean of Nursing and Allied Health
This 12-month position oversees Practical Nursing and Nursing Assistant programs. Appointed by the Vice Chancellor for Education, Training, and Student Success, or the appropriate dean, the Program Chair is a teaching, full-time faculty member in the content area of at least one of the programs over which the Chair supervises. The Program Chair is responsible for the coordination of all degrees awarded in these programs. The Chair provides administrative leadership, facilitation, and direction to all members of the Chair’s program(s) and ensures that those faculty members with expertise and credentials in disciplines other than the Chair’s own will provide curricular oversight of their respective academic areas.
Demonstrated Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The ideal candidate must have the ability to promote an inclusive environment that reflects the broad diversity and backgrounds represented by our students, employees, and our local community, one in which every individual feels respected and valued. The Chairperson must demonstrate cultural humility and the ability to work with a college community with diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds, including those with disabilities and veterans.
Must meet minimum education and professional experience requirements set by supervising board(s) and accrediting agencies:
- Associate Degree in Nursing (RN).
- Must possess an unencumbered license as a registered nurse eligible to practice in the State of Louisiana.
- Must be a registered nurse with a minimum of three years of nursing experience. At least one of these three years must have been as a medical-surgical hospital staff nurse providing direct patient care or high level of care in a hospital setting. An applicant for nurse instructor must have practiced as a nurse for a minimum of six full-time months during the three years immediately preceding application.
- Applicant approval by the Louisiana State Board of Practical Nurse Examiners will be required to confirm eligibility prior to hire.
Duties and Responsibilities
Teaching and Advising
- Teaching will comprise 25% of the workload, administrative duties for nursing PN programs will comprise 50% of the workload and the remaining 25% of the workload will be comprised of administrative duties for nursing assistant programs.
- Assist program students with academic advising, course selection, and career-related advice.
- Provide immediate supervision and leadership for faculty, adjunct faculty, and staff.
- Attend standing training meetings to learn and understand Program Chair expectations and requirements.
- Facilitate and complete required program accreditation and endorsements.
- Work with faculty to ensure programs meet regulatory and/or accrediting body compliance.
- Request needed equipment and supplies for instructional programs. Responsible for setting up equipment in instructional setting and oversight of all equipment used.
- Responsible for ordering program textbooks each semester.
- Review and recommend changes to student course fees.
- Conduct program faculty evaluations.
- Actively participate in interview and selection processes for new full-time and adjunct program faculty.
- Adhere to operational deadlines published on College Academic Calendar and Administrative Calendar.
Curriculum Development and Management
- Develop and recommend new courses and programs of study when the need arises.
- Responsible for reviewing and submitting changes of curriculum and courses related to program.
- Work with program faculty, other chairs, and deans to schedule program-specific courses and consult with other departments and programs on scheduling of shared and related courses.
- Responsible for reviewing college catalog and submitting changes or updates for program.
- Responsible for SACSCOC assessment, including program assessments and learning outcomes and other related SACSCOC requirements. Program viability must be evaluated annually using the Program Health Index (PHI) and the assessment process.
- Participate in registration and recruiting events.
- Actively participate in two College committees per academic year.
- Attend the LCTCS annual conference.
- Manage Program Advisory Board, including scheduling meetings, creating agendas, and selection of board, with a minimum of two meetings per academic year.
- Track and maintain program-related business and industry partners according to LCTCS guidelines.
- Other duties as assigned by the Chancellor, Vice Chancellor for Education, Training and Student Success or respective dean.
To apply, send cover letter, resume, unofficial transcripts if applicable, and contact information for three professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org (put Nursing Faculty/Program Chair in the subject line)
Internal Applicants Strongly Encouraged
Review of Applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Priority deadline for applications: Friday, May 6, 2022.
All applications are confidential, and references will not be contacted without the expressed authorization of the applicant.
It is the policy of Nunez Community College not to discriminate based on sex, creed, color, race, sexual orientation, age, national origin, or disability in its educational programs, activities, or employment policies as required by Title IX of the 1972 Education Amendments and other Federal and State anti- discrimination laws.
Incomplete applications will not be forwarded for review.
ADA & EOE