Unclassified Employment Opportunities
Position: Accounting Assistant
Department: Business Affairs
Reports To: Assistant Director of General Accounting
Under the supervision of the Assistant Director of General Accounting, the Accounting Assistant will be responsible for managing accounts payable invoices, travel, and other accounting requests; while ensuring that the required supporting documentation is maintained. The Accounting Assistant will be the contact for all travel requests and reimbursements.
Demonstrated Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The ideal candidate must have the ability to promote an inclusive environment that reflects the broad diversity and backgrounds represented by our students, employees, and our local community, one in which every individual feel respected and valued. The Accounting Assistant must demonstrate cultural humility and the ability to work with a college community with diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds, including those with disabilities and veterans.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Process accounts payable invoices, reimbursements and credit card expenditures for payment by ensuring supporting documentation is attached to each packet for timely entry.
- Perform accounts payable duties such as work with vendors to correct billing discrepancies, work with purchasing to track outstanding purchase orders, reconciling vendor statements and create check request.
- Serve as contact for the travel system and cardholder for the CBA account. Update and maintain travel card system by ensuring each travel transaction has an appropriate business purpose and need for state business purchase, that all approvals were obtained, that each transaction has a receipt, appropriate supporting documentation and each transaction’s supporting documentation is scanned into Workflow and tied to each applicable transaction. Remain knowledgeable regarding PPM49, GSA per diem rates and rules and regulations governing CBA usage and applies knowledge to review all travel transactions.
- Assist the AP/Payroll Manager with accounts payable data entry and reconciliation of employee leave records.
- Monitors, reviews and verifies accounting records and transactions for accuracy, timeliness and adequacy of supporting documentation. Ensures compliance with internal policies, agency rules and regulations, and generally accepted accounting principles. Assists in developing and maintaining automated systems and procedures.
- Reconcile, maintain, monitor and analyze activity in accounts held in custody (club accounts) to ensure compliance with University agency procedures.
- Assists with or performs grant-related post-award functions, including award setup and budget distributions, expense monitoring, periodic invoicing, and financial reporting. Assists with time and effort reporting system, ensuring it is complete and in compliance with applicable regulations. Extracts information and prepares weekly or biweekly financial reports and schedules for state and federal reports to be used by higher level accounting professionals.
- Working flexible hours to ensure that travel can be booked as needed in a timely manner and assists with travel issues as they arise, making sure to still adhere to travel and financial policies.
- Track contracts for completeness and obtain professional contract performance evaluation prior to final payment.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Business/Accounting or related field with 1 year of related experience.
- Associate’s Degree with 3 years of experience and/or 7 years of proven related work experience.
Preferred Education and Qualifications
- Knowledge of public higher education and/or state government a plus.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to handle conflict productively in a professional situation.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work efficiently.
- Demonstrate sensitivity to issues of ethnicity, disability and diversity.
- Proven knowledge and proficient use of Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Knowledge and commitment to institutional mission and values and the ability to work with stakeholders across the college to achieve and uphold those.
Physical Demands: When Applicable
- Ability to work in excess of 40 hours a week, which may include nights and weekends.
- Ability to view a computer screen for long periods of time.
- Ability to function in a high-pressure, stressful environment and meet stringent deadlines.
- Ability to operate a computer and standard office equipment.
- Ability to carry <25 lbs., stand, sit, reach, bend, climb, reach and push/pull.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
All applications are confidential, and references will not be contacted without the expressed authorization of the applicant.
To apply, send cover letter, resume, unofficial transcripts and contact information for three professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org (Include Accounting Assistant in the subject line)
Incomplete applications will not be forwarded for review.
It is the policy of Nunez Community College not to discriminate based on sex, creed, color, race, sexual orientation, age, national origin, or disability in its educational programs, activities, or employment policies as required by Title IX of the 1972 Education Amendments and other Federal and State anti-discrimination laws.
ADA & EOE