Unclassified Employment Opportunities
Position: Head Librarian
Reports To: Dean of Instruction
The Head Librarian reports to the Dean of Instruction and is responsible for strategic planning for the library. Responsible for general operations of the library including the budget, staff supervision, and the facilities. Represents the library on college committees and at national, regional, and local library meetings.
Demonstrated Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The ideal candidate must have the ability to promote an inclusive environment that reflects the broad diversity and backgrounds represented by our students, employees, and our local community, one in which every individual feel respected and valued. The Head Librarian must demonstrate cultural humility and the ability to work with a college community with diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds, including those with disabilities and veterans.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees day-to-day functioning of the library including supporting faculty, staff, students and community members.
- Provides guidance to all members of the Nunez community dealing with library-related issues such as distance learning, course-integrated library instruction, etc.
- Assists in developing, maintaining, and evaluating the collections to support the instructional programs.
- Coordinates with Facilities on maintenance, security and use of library facilities including, but not limited to, the Southern Food and Beverage Research Center and the Islenos Archive.
- Represents the library by serving as library liaison with departments and individual faculty and staff, and by participation in local and statewide consortia., and submits required reports to college administration and outside agencies.
- Coordinates planning and assessment for the Library.
- Participates in professional development and continuing education to develop and expand expertise in areas of responsibility and in library information science in general.
- Monitors and consults on the budget for library services and participates in purchasing and interactions with vendors complying with policies and procedures of the College, system and state.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Library Science or closely related field (ALA accredited program).
- 3 years’ experience in an academic library and at least one year of supervisory experience.
Preferred Education and Qualifications
- Master’s degree in Library Science or closely related field.
- Demonstrated leadership and management experience.
- Experience in managing procurement and purchasing processes.
- Experience in reference or teaching.
- Experience in change management in academic library services.
- Experience in grant writing.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Understanding and commitment to Equal Access/Equal Opportunity.
- Ability to work in the diverse environment of a community college and commitment to the college’s mission.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English.
- Ability to handle conflict productively in a professional situation.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to build systems for efficiency in complex environments.
- Ability to use technology to manage workflows and organizational tasks.
- Knowledge of institutional data and ability to make data-based decisions.
- Previous experience with SACS accreditation reporting.
- Commitment to student centered experiences decision making and ability to support a customer service focused culture in an academic setting.
- Knowledge and commitment to institutional mission and values and the ability to work with stakeholders across the college to achieve and uphold those.
Physical Demands: When Applicable
- Ability to work in excess of 40 hours a week, which may include nights and weekends.
- Ability to view a computer screen for long periods of time.
- Ability to function in a high-pressure, stressful environment and meet stringent deadlines.
- Ability to operate a computer and standard office equipment.
- Ability to carry <25 lbs., stand, sit, reach, bend, climb, reach and push/pull.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
All applications are confidential, and references will not be contacted without the expressed authorization of the applicant.
To apply, send cover letter, resume, unofficial transcripts and contact information for three professional references to: email@example.com (Include Head Librarian in the subject line)
Incomplete applications will not be forwarded for review.
It is the policy of Nunez Community College not to discriminate based on sex, creed, color, race, sexual orientation, age, national origin, or disability in its educational programs, activities, or employment policies as required by Title IX of the 1972 Education Amendments and other Federal and State anti-discrimination laws.
ADA & EOE