As required by Louisiana R.S. 17:170, Schools of Higher Learning, and as a condition of enrollment, all Nunez Community College students born after 1956 must provide proof or waiver of immunization. The required immunizations for institutions of higher learning are as follows:
- Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR)--Two (2) doses
- Tetanus, Diphtheria (Td/Tdap)--One (1) dose in the last 10 years
- Meningococcal meningitis--Two (2) doses OR one (1) dose, if first dose was given on or after age 16
Louisiana R.S. 17:170 states that no person seeking to enter any school shall be required to comply with the provisions of immunization if the student submits either:
- A written statement from a physician stating that the procedure is contraindicated for medical reasons
- A written dissent from the student or parent (waiver)
Forms to be completed by the student’s physician or other health care provider, as well as a waiver, are available in the Student Affairs Office and online. Some specific programs have additional immunization requirements.
In the event of an outbreak of measles, mumps, rubella, tetanus, diphtheria, or meningitis, the College will require unimmunized students to leave campus until the outbreak is over or until they submit proof of adequate immunization.
The Nunez Community College Health Center, located on campus, is able to provide some students with proof of immunization records as well as immunizations. Call 504-278-6318 for more information.